Fire Outbreak: BMU - Disorder In Bayelsa Medical University at the Female Hostel
There is Disorder In Bayelsa Medical University Over Fire Outbreak At Female Hostel
There was panic on the campus of the State Medical University in Yenagoa, the Bayelsa state capital early Wednesday morning following a fire outbreak in one of its hostels.
According to sources, the fire started at about 6:40 am in the female hostel of the university.
It is suspected to have been caused by an electric surge while a student was trying to iron her clothes.
Personnel of the Federal and Bayelsa State Fire Services reportedly responded to the emergency call and succeeded in putting out the fire and preventing it from spreading to other rooms in the block.
The alarm raised over the fire outbreak caused panic on the campus as scores of students scampered to safety, while others moved their valuables out of the hostel.
The vice-chancellor of the school, Prof. Ebitimitula Etebu and the Chief Security Officer, Prince Diete-Spiff praised the firefighters for their prompt response to the emergency. and as No life was lost in the incident.
However, personal belongings including documents and clothes of students staying in the affected room were destroyed by the fire.